The Cal Poly Corporation respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through compliance with this policy.
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, your choice is not to use our Sites.
PRIVACY PRINCIPLES. We follow the following principles in order to protect your privacy:
- We do not collect any more personal data about you than is necessary;
- We only use your personal data for the purposes we specify in this Policy, unless you agree otherwise;
- We do not keep your personal data if it is no longer needed; and
- Other than as we specify in this Policy, we do not share your personal data with third parties.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
- Personal Data. We may collect personal data from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to when you visit or register to use our Sites. In some instances, we may ask you to provide us with specific information about you, such as your name, address, email address, telephone number or other pertinent information. If you elect to provide us with your personal information, we may use that information to provide you with our publications or to notify you of other information regarding the Corporation. If you provide us with your personal information, but later decide you no longer want us to send you any information about us, simply contact us at the address set forth in the “Feedback” section of the Site.
We also collect any information you may provide to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Site or transmitted to other users of the Site or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Site with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
- Non Personal Data. As you navigate through and interact with our Site, we may automatically collect certain non-personal information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. Non-personal data may include your IP address, browser name, type of computer, the files viewed on the Sites, clickstream data, and technical information about your means of connection to the Sites, such as the operating system and the internet service providers utilized. To the extent that we link this non-personal data with your personal data, this Policy shall govern our use of such information.
- Mobile Applications. For your convenience, the Corporation offers you the ability to access our Site through mobile applications and mobile-optimized websites. When you interact with us through your mobile device, we collect information such as unique device identifiers, your screen resolution and other device settings, information about your location, and analytical information about how you use your mobile device. We typically ask your permission before collecting certain information such as precise geolocation information.
There are two main types of cookies:
- Session cookies: These are temporary cookies that expire at the end of a browser session; that is, when you leave the site. Session cookies allow the website to recognize you as you navigate between pages during a single browser session and allow you to use the website most efficiently. For example, session cookies enable a website to remember that a user has placed items in an online shopping basket.
- Persistent cookies: In contrast to session cookies, persistent cookies are stored on your equipment between browsing sessions until expiry or deletion. They therefore enable the website to recognize you on your return, remember your preferences, and tailor services to you.
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Site according to your individual interests.
- Improve search speeds.
- Recognize you when you return to our Site.
- Refusing Cookies on this Website. You can modify your cookie setting by following the instructions provided by your browser. These instructions are usually found in the “Tools,” “Help” or “Edit” tabs. If you set your browser to disable cookies, you may not be able to fully access and use our Sites.
- Removal. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is limited to what we require in connection with the purposes set out in this Policy; we will retain copies in a form we deem necessary in connection with the purposes set out in this Policy. In particular, we will retain personal information for as long as it is needed to establish, exercise or defend any legal rights.
HOW WE USE PERSONAL DATA. We may collect and use information that we collect about you, including personal data, for the following purposes:
- To present our Site and its contents to you. This may include allowing you to participate in interactive features on our Site. We may also notify you about changes to our Site or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To improve customer service. Information and feedback you provide helps us improve, respond, and support your needs more efficiently.
- To personalize your experience. We may use information in the aggregate to understand how our users as a group use the Site.
- To run a promotion, contest, survey, or other Site feature. With your consent, we will use your personal data and preferences to keep you informed by email, text, web or telephone about special offers, promotions, events, competitions and so on.
- As required by law. To send you communications required by law or which are necessary to inform you about changes to this Policy or the services we provide.
- To comply with our legal or contractual obligations to share data with law enforcement.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide personal data. We may use your personal data for purposes that we make known to you at the time of collection of such information or otherwise upon your consent.
DATA SECURITY. We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA. We may disclose aggregated, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction. We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this Policy:
- Affiliates. To our parents, affiliates, joint ventures, or promotion partners, for their use in a manner consistent with the purpose described in this Policy.
- Agents and Service Providers. To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, and who complete transactions or perform services on our behalf or for your benefit, and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and to use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- Legal Process. As required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
- Consent. In additional ways upon your consent.
CONTACTING US. To ask questions or comment about this Policy and our privacy practices, contact us at the address set forth in the “Feedback” section of the Site.